It's easy to get answers about health and nutrition! Just send your question by email to [email protected] and Dr. Harlan will respond to selected questions of general interest. Answers will be posted in the Ask Dr. Gourmet newsletter (sign up now!) and archived in the Ask Dr. Gourmet section of the website.

Please note that the Ask Dr. Gourmet feature is restricted to questions regarding food and nutrition. Due to the many questions we receive, not all questions may be answered. For more specific questions about your individual health, please contact your doctor. About Timothy S. Harlan, MD, FACP, CCMS | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy



Ask Dr. Gourmet

Measuring body fat

Where can I go to get my percentage of body fat measured and compared to my muscle mass?

Dr. Gourmet Says...

items used to measure body weight and body fat: a scale, measuring tape, and calipers

There are a number of different ways to measure body fat. Most use calipers to look at various areas of the body, including the chest, abdomen, thigh, arms, hips, and back.

Many folks can help you with measuring the percentage of body fat. You can contact a certified personal trainer. Many will take measurements as part of helping design an exercise program for you. Physical therapists and dietitians will also take these measurements for you. Check with your doctor for a referral to someone he or she trusts.

Thanks for writing,

Timothy S. Harlan, MD, FACP, CCMS
Dr Gourmet